| Dr. C. Justin Lee
|Changjoon Justin Lee, PhD
Birth Date : March 21, 1966
Marital Status : Married, two children
Citizenship : USA
Tel : +82-2-958-6940
Fax : +82-2-958-6919
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Title : Principal Investigator & Principal Research Scientist
Director of Center for Glia-Neuron Interaction
Full Professor : The University of Science, KU-KIST Graduate School of Converging Science and Techno
Office : KIST Division of Life Sciences Building L7, Room 7224
The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
B.A. in Chemistry, June 1990
Columbia University, New York, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
Department of Physiology and Cellular Biophysics
PhD, May 16th, 2001
Thesis advisor: Dr. Amy B. MacDermott
Dissertation Title: The Expression and Function of Kainate and AMPA Receptors in Nociceptive Dorsal Root Ganglion Neurons.
Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA, Department of Pharmacology
Post Doctoral Fellow, Mar 2001 ~ Aug 2004 (Sponsor: Dr. Stephen Traynelis)
Project Scope: Modulation of NMDA receptors by protease activated receptors (PAR).
Grants AND Research Fundings
- 2012-2017 Fundamental Technology in Brain Science, NRF ($500,000/y)
TITLE: Development of 3D in-vitro brain neural/glial circuit and non-invasive /cell type-specific stimulation and detection technologies
2012-2015 KIST Young Fellow Project ($300,000/y)
TITLE: Study of Glia-Neuron Interaction
2009-2015 National Agenda Project, Korea Research Council ($300,000/y)
TITLE: Improving neurodegenerative disorders by man-machine interface
2009-2014 World Class Institute Program, National Research Foundation ($7,000,000/y)
TITLE: Functional connectomics of brain circuitry by optogenetics
2009-2011 International Cooperation Research Grant, KIST ($150,000/y)
TITLE: Study of tonic GABA release from glial cells in cerebellum utilizing optogenetic mice
2005-2008 Pure Basic Group Research Grant, Korea Research Foundation ($280,000/y)
TITLE: Investigating the in vivo role of neuroglia in the brain using conditional gene-targeted mice
2005-2008 KRL Research Grant ($250,000/year)
TITLE: Role of astrocytic Ca2+ in neuronal excitability
2005-2006 KIST Research Grant ($100,000/year)
TITLE: Development of low-cost, high throughput Xenopus Oocyte drug screening system
2002-2005 Recipient of NIH, NRSA Individual Fellowship (NS43875, 2002-2005).
Title: Modulation of NMDA receptors by serine proteases & Par1.
Awards and Honors
2013-12-20 The University of Science & Technology, Star Professor Award
2013-08-27 The University of Science & Technology, Outstanding Mentor Award
2012-12-20 The University of Science & Technology, , Best Mentor Award
2011-06-29 The University of Science & Technology, Best Mentor Award
2011-06-29 The University of Science & Technology, Outstanding Mentor Award
2011-02-10 KIST, Scientist of the Year Award
2011-02-10 KIST, Outstanding Research Team Award
2010-12-31 Outstanding Researcher Award, Prime Minister of Korea.
2010-12-29 Scientist of the Month Award, Ministry of Science & Technology, Korea
2010-12-02 KIST, Scientist of the Month Award
2009-12-21 KIST, Outstanding Project Award
2009-06-23 The University of Science & Technology, Outstanding Teacher Award
2009-05-26 The University of Science & Technology, Outstanding Mentor Award
2009-02-10 KIST, Outstanding Researcher Award
2008-Present Editorial Board & Managing Editor, Molecular Brain
2004-Present Editorial board, Molecular Pain
2003 Association of Korean Neuroscientists Outstanding Researcher Award, Nov 11th
2000 Association of Korean Neuroscientists Outstanding Researcher Award, Nov 7th
1996 Society for Neuroscience, member since 1996
1985 National Honors Society
1985-1989 Illinois State Scholarship
Junior Research Assist. 1986/9-1990/6 Louis Seiden’s Lab. U of Chicago
Research Assistant 1990/7-1991/6 Emily Foster’s Lab. Michael Reese Hosp.
Graduate Research Assist. 1991/9-1992/12 Columbia University
Research Technician 1993/1-1994/6 Martin Low’s Lab. Columbia University
Research Technician 1994/6-1996/9 MacDermott’s Lab. Columbia University
Graduate Research Assist. 1996/9-2001/3 MacDermott’s Lab. Columbia University
Post Doctoral Fellow 2001/3-2004/8 Traynelis’s Lab. Emory University
Senior Research Scientist 2004/9-Present Korea Institute of Science and Technology
Principal Research Scientist 2010/2-Present Korea Institute of Science and Technology
Manuscript Referee for : Journal of Physiology
Inivited Seminars and lectures
- University of San Francisco, CA, USA Host: Dr. David Julius, 2000.
- Emory University, GA, USA. Host: Dr. Stephen Traynelis, 2001.
- Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea. Host: Dr. Bong-Keun Kaang, 2002.
- National Neurosci. Inst., Singapore. Host: Drs. Chian-ming Low & Tuck-Wah Soong, 2002.
- Auburn University, GA, Dept Pharm Science. Host: Dr. Vishnu Suppiramaniam,1-30- 2004.
- Tulane University, LA, Dept of Pharmacology. Host: Dr. Krishna Agrawal, 3-3-2004.
- University of Kansas, Dept of Pharmacology Host: Dr. Elias Michaelis, 4-16-2004
- North Dakota State University, Dept of Pharmacology Host: Dr. Jagdish Singh, 4-26-2004
- University at Buffalo, Dept of Pharmacology Host: Dr. Ron Rubin, 5-14-2004
- UNC at Chapel Hill, Dept of Cell and Mol. Physiology Host: Dr. Edward Perl, 6-24-2004
- Indiana University, Stark Neuroscience Institute Host: Dr. Gerry Oxford, 7-1-2004
- KIST, Center for Calcium and Learning Host. Dr. Hee-Sup Shin, 6-4-2004
- Yeonsei University College of Medicine Host: Dr. Bae Hwan Lee, 10-13-2004
- Seoul National U, School of Medicine, Dept of Physiology Host. Dr. Ho Inkyung, 12-3-04
- Inje University, School of Medicine, Neuroscience Symposium Host. Dr. Ha Ilho, 12-8-04
- Korean Women Biomedical Scientists Host: Dr. Rhim Haewon, 1-21-05
- KAIST, Dept of Biological Sciences Host: Dr. Kim Daesoo, 3-28-05
- Catholic University School of Medicine, Physiology Host. Dr. Rhie Dukju, 5-25-05
- 척추신경추나의학회 중앙정기학술 세미나 Host: Dr. Park, Kyungsoo, 5-29-05
- Seoul National U, School of Dentistry, Dept of Physiology Host: Dr. Oh Seogbae, 6-8-05
- Synapse & Memory Symposium, Seoul National U Host: Dr. Bong-Keun Kaang, 7-4-05
- World Congress of Pain Symposium, Sidney Australia Host: Dr. Istvan Nagy, 8-25-05
- KIST-ASAN Symposium, Asan Medical University Host: Dr. Kim Dongjin, 9-23-05
- Ajou University, School of Medicine Host: Dr. Jeong Minhwan, 9-27-05
- KIST-BNL Symposium, KIST Host: Dr. Kim Myungsoo, 10-10-05
- Seoul Foreign School Host: Dr. Nancy Stubbs, 10-13-05
- Brookhaven National Laboratory Host: Dr. Peter Thanos, 11-18-05
- Seoul National University Host: Dr. Choi Sukwoo, 01-15-06
- Korea-Germany Neuroscience Symposium Host: Dr. Kim Eunjoon, 03-27-06
- Pohang University Host: Dr. Kim Junghoon, 05-19-06
- KIST Gangneung Branch Host: Dr. Yang Hyunok 07-10-06
- 3rd Neuroimmunology Network Symposium Host: Dr. Oh Seogbae 08-18-06
- Ajou University, Center for Brain Diseases Host: Dr. Lee Yong Bum 09-29-06
- Yeonsei University, School of Medicine, Physiology Host: Dr. Lee Baehwan 11-23-06
- Sungkyunkwan Univeristy, School of Medicine, Physiology Host: Dr. Park Myungkyu, 12-03-06
- Ion Channel Research Conference Host: Dr. Kim Sungjoon, 01-10-07
- Kyungsang University, School of Medicine Host: Dr. Hong Sunggeun, 02-28-07
- The 8th Biomedical Brain Research Center Symposium Host: Dr. Kim Sang Jung, 03-24-07
- The 15th Federation Meeting of Korean Basic Medical Scientists 2007
- Symposium on Short-Term Plasticity and Synaptic Computation Host: Dr. Lee Sukho, 04-26-07
- Yeonsei University, School of Medicine, Wonju Host: Dr. Jung Sungwoo, 05-17-07
- Korea University, Biological Sciences Host: Dr. Baik Ja-Hyun, 05-30-07
- Saga University, Pharmacology, Japan Host: Dr. Kamamoto, 09-05-07
- Annual Purine Meeting, Japanese Society of Physiology Host: Dr. Inoue, 09-07-07
- Jikei University, Physiology, Japan Host: Dr. Fusao Kato, 09-08-07
- Kyungbuk University, School of Medicine Host: Dr. Suk Kyungho, 09-18-07
- Kunkuk University, School of Medicine Host: Dr. Lee Seungjae, 10-30-07
- GIST, Department of Life Science Host: Dr. Park Chul-seung, 03-20-08
- Korean Biophysical Society Annual Conference 2008 Host: Dr. Lee Cheolju, 06-20-08
- ICBND 2008, Seoul National Universiyt Host: Dr. Bong-Kiunn Kaang, 08-07-08
Symposiums and Workshops
- Conducted a Patch-clamp workshop for 3 days at NNI, Singapore, 2002.
- Conducted a Patch-clamp and Mini Analysis workshop at Auburn University, GA. 2004.
- Organized and lectured in Annual Satellite Symposium at Neuroscience Meeting on Analyzing Spontaneous Activities with Mini Analysis Program, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003.
- Organized and lectured in KIST 중점연구회 Symposium, “Caffeine and Brain Cancer”, 2007-10-17.